Revolutions Bicycle Cooperative, based in Memphis, TN, is a program of First Congregational Church (501(c)3 non-profit) that has worked since 2002 to build a more inclusive community by getting people on bicycles.
Our vision: By making bicycling a desirable transportation option, we create a healthier, more connected and livable community.
The Revolutions Education Program Coordinator works with the Executive Director and Staff to run our youth and adult educational programs. This role includes creating and teaching bicycle repair classes, bicycle riding classes, camps and more. The Education Program Coordinator will also lead bicycle rides, and help with mechanic work needed to finish and check bicycles for use in educational programs. The Education Program Coordinator will take the lead on our new bicycle education program in local schools as lead educator, volunteer coordinator and scheduler. The Education Program Coordinator will also collaborate with Revolutions’ staff on volunteer coordination for other educational programs. Each day will be a blend of these tasks, requiring both collaboration and independence. This is an excellent opportunity for a confident bicycle rider with experience working on bicycles, and teaching youth and adults.
Travel around the Memphis metro area is required. Travel by bicycle is preferred. As we attempt to normalize the bicycle as a viable transportation option, we try to model everyday riding as much as possible. Revolutions has a great selection of cargo bikes for our employees to use, especially when delivery of tools and equipment is required for a program.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Works independently, or with other staff, to schedule and run educational programs: including bicycle repair classes, bicycle riding classes/clubs, summer camps, and community partnerships.
- Coordinates emerging bicycle safety program in local schools, including communicating with school PE teachers and staff, and volunteers
- Leads bicycle mechanic work for program bicycles; fixes and safety checks bicycles.
- Coordinates bicycle storage and bicycle needs for various programs.
- Loading, unloading and moving bicycles, helmets, and other equipment
- Updates registrations, database, class documents and calendars as needed.
- Helps strategize creative ways to reach new audiences for upcoming programs.
- Maintains classroom environments; cleans and restocks spaces weekly.
- Other tasks like overseeing workshop hours, to be shared with other staff, as needed.
COMPENSATION: $25,000 — $30,000
Including benefits: employer sponsored health insurance; 12 days of vacation to start (plus one day each additional year of work); paid organization-wide recess from 12/25 to 1/1 every year; all products in our bicycle shop and catalog at cost (including new bicycles and parts); casual dress code for work.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- Ability to teach in an engaging and challenging manner; prior experience teaching is preferred.
- Experienced bicycle rider; able to ride a bicycle long distances, while pedaling additional weight.
- Bicycle commuting expertise, necessary.
- Excellent bicycle mechanic skills; prior experience as a bicycle mechanic preferred.
- Understanding of social justice and awareness of privilege.
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks.
- Capacity to work on a computer and complete paperwork and database work.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends required for this position.
- Driver’s license; ability to pass a driving record check & drive large vehicles, preferred.
- Education Coordinator must pass a criminal background check for working with children.
OUR CORE VALUES:
- We believe that there are many ways to use the bicycle.
- We believe that everyone is a valuable member of our community.
- We build a nurturing environment where beginners and experts feel included and supported.
- We share knowledge freely and remain open to learning while empowering members to be leaders in our community.
- We focus on improving the livability of our City.
HOW TO APPLY:
Email your resume, cover letter, contact information for three references and a relevant writing sample (no more than two pages long) all in a single PDF document to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please mention how you heard about this position. We will begin reviewing qualified applications on Oct 1, 2017. Applications accepted until position is filled.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
Visit our website at www.RevolutionsMemphis.com for more information about Revolutions Bicycle Cooperative.