We want more families and kids on bikes! We have had several great rides with Wee Ride Memphis (our family-friendly bicycle rides hosted by Revolutions). But we’re having trouble getting families to ride with us. Many have said that they don’t have a way to tote the little kids on, or behind, their bikes. After a very informal and small survey, we decided to try something different: a much shorter ride! Lots of other cities are doing rides like this. They call them Kidical Mass rides.
For our Kidical Mass, we plan to meet at 1st Congo, and ride the four blocks it takes to get all the way around the church, on the street. At then end, we’ll head up to the deck on the north side of the church and enjoy homemade ice cream, together! Will you and your kiddos join us?
On Friday, August 8, we’ll meet at 6:45, go over a few rules of the road and ride, and then head out promptly at 7:00 p.m. We encourage parents to bring kids with balance bikes, bikes with training wheels and other kids bikes, as well as your own. Everyone MUST wear a helmet for this ride.
Will you join us?
DATE: 08/08/2014 (Friday)
TIME: Meet around 6:45 PM, Roll out promptly at 7:00
START: We are meeting at 1st Congo, 1000 S. Cooper St, in the Southeast parking lot (on top of the labyrinth in the parking lot, where you would park if you were coming to the farmers’ market).
END: 1st Congo, on the North end of the building. We will park the bikes and gather on the North deck for homemade ice cream.
HELMETS ARE REQUIRED AND BELLS AND LIGHTS ARE STRONGLY SUGGESTED. Kids under 16 are required by Memphis Code of Ordinances to wear helmets, but as a ride sponsored by Revolutions Memphis, we require all riders to wear helmets and be a good example for the kids.
What is Kidical Mass? Kidical Mass is a legal, safe and FUN bike ride for kids, kids at heart, and their families. The first ride was held in April 2008 in Eugene, Oregon and has now spread to over a dozen communities throughout North America and beyond. The rides are meant to be family friendly bike rides through a community.
All types of bikes, trailers, trail-a-bikes, Xtracycles, longtails, bakfiets, Long Johns, tandems, folders, trikes, and whatever rolls are welcome! We celebrate the fact that Kids are Traffic Too and aim for family fun on vehicles that don’t hurt the future!
Check out this great FAQs page for how Kidical Mass works.
ROUTE: We plan to ride four full blocks, on the street, around 1st Congo. If older kids show up, we’ll add a few blocks more for them.
****ROUTE SUBJECT TO CHANGE*****
RSVP: To Wee Ride Memphis’ facebook page.
- What happens if there is bad weather?: If it rains, we won’t ride. Please check back on the website and Facebook group.
- I want to drive down, where can I park?: We suggest you park in 1st Congo’s South parking lot (along Walker) or the Northeast parking lot (along Blythe), so you can easily reload bikes and kids at the end.
- How fast do you go?: For this Kidical Mass we will go so slow we could probably walk faster. No really, this ride is at a slow rate, we wait for the group between lights / stop signs and we cross these together.
- Kids on Training Wheels?: This will be a very short and slow ride. Therefore, we welcome training wheels and balance bikes.
- Can I come without a kid?: Yes, as long as you are pro safe streets and do not make us nervous you are welcome to come without children. Please remember though you are riding with children.
- Can I come without an adult?: Sorry, at this time we require you come with an adult who is responsible for you.
- Can I volunteer to help?: YES PLEASE. Send us a Facebook message!